We met with so many exceptional educators at MacFarlane that it is hard to summarize our visit without highlighting a few take aways. In keeping with our three goals, here are my top take aways:
Transformational use of technology
1.Student tech. detectives: Students from 2nd-5th grade act as technology detectives throughout the school to help children and staff.
2. Nearpod.com: Nearpod is an interactive presentation and assessment tool that can be used to create quizzes, polls, videos, web content, drawing boards and so much more through the use of mobile devices. Ms. Vinson demonstrated this tool by doing a pre-assessment quiz for a unit of inquiry.
3. Plickers.com: a powerful tool that allows teachers to collect real-time formative assessment data without the need for student devices. One of the teachers' demonstrated this fantastic tool with her students.
1. Three As of action: awareness/aide/activism) Very impressed with the actions that MacFarlane students undertake and their way of keeping track of them. Each child is given a passport in K and the passport is stamped for every action taken throughout the years.
2. Attitude of the week: to work on and reflect on in the agenda. Another innovative way of keeping track of their reflections.
3. Wonder Wall and Genius Hour: (once a week)Children write down the questions they have and once a week they are given an hour to look up the answers. I love the premise of genius hour and the possibilities for designing and creating a presentation of their findings.
1. Teacher Share Fair: Five teachers share something great they are doing in the classroom and staff rotates through the stations
2. International Multi-cultural Festival: This is a yearly event at MacFarlane where parents are invited to participate. After sharing ideas, we are excited to hold our first Clearpoint International Festival next year.
3. Showcase unit: Each grade level showcases one unit a year for the parents to come and see.
Merci, MacFarlane Park!
What a truly amazing day! We were so excited to visit another IB World School and MacFarlane was the perfect choice. The time that we spent at this school with these educators was pure gold. We found a true sister school that we hope to continue our collaboration with for many years to come.